Findochty Harbour

Findochty Harbour

As walkers taking the coastal path from Portknockie towards Findochty, look out towards the sea, one of the first sights of Findochty, on a prominent rocky cliff, is Findochty Parish Church. The Church dates back to the 1860s when its prominent position provided an important landmark to fishermen and sailors. 

As early as the 1400s the village of Findochty was built up around the natural harbour known as Crooked Haven. Like many of the coastal towns and villages along the Moray Firth, Findochty grew up as a fishing port during the 1700s and 1800s, and by 1850 up to 140 fishing boats were based in Findochty Harbour. Unfortunately with the improvements at Buckie Harbour in the late 1800s whilst providing better facilities, by 1890 some fishing boats left Findochty.  With the decline in the fishing industry over the years, Findochty harbour is now used mostly by pleasure craft.  It is a lovely sunny spot which attracts tourists with additional attractions nearby such as Strathlene Golf Course and the caravan park.